THE NORMANDY ISLES NATIONAL REGISTER DISTRICT
Laid out in the 1920s according to the tenets of the "City Beautiful Movement," Normandy Isles consists of two man-made islands Isle of Normandy and Normandy Shores reachable via 71st Street, the area's main artery. From there, broad curvilinear streets, with apropos French names, extend and run along well-defined residential and commercial districts, culminating at a centerpiece civic plaza and monument, the Vendome Fountain
The eastern portions of the two man-made islands comprise this historic district, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. Although a number of Mediterranean Revival and Moderne style structures can be found among the district's 201 architecturally significant buildings, the vast majority are MiMo-style garden apartment buildings constructed between 1945 and 1963.
GALLERY PHOTO View our extensive gallery of the Normandy Isles National Register District here.